Volunteer Opportunities at Optalis
Are you looking for ways to give back? Optalis has plenty of local volunteer work for you to put your talents to good use!
Local Volunteer Work with Seniors
While there are many centers that make up Optalis Healthcare in Ohio, if you were to visit any of them, you would notice something: no community is the same as the next.
Why? Because each care center takes on the flavor of the surrounding area. Each one is a part of the fabric of the local community. It’s what gives each community its unique character.
As a result of these special connections, we often see people volunteering from the local area. We certainly have plenty to keep them busy, with volunteer opportunities including:
- Patient Care Volunteer. If you would like to work one-on-one with residents, you can work as a Patient Care Volunteer. You’ll be able to talk with patients, help with things such as retrieving an extra blanket or delivering a meal, and assist nursing staff where needed.
- Rehabilitation Therapy Volunteer. Sometimes rehab patients appreciate some guidance when it’s time to go to their on-site therapy appointments. As a Rehabilitation Therapy Volunteer, you can help them go to and from their appointment, as well as lend a helping hand to the therapy staff if you would like. Guide patients to and from their therapy appointments. Assist therapy staff where needed.
- Customer Service/Information Desk Greeter. The first thing visitors see when they enter the building can be your smiling face. You can help greet people and escort them to visit their loved ones as a Customer Service/Information Desk Greeter.
- Activity Department Assistant. We have full activity calendars at each location for residents to enjoy. If you would like to help out as an Activity Department Assistant, you can join in the daily activities and support the activity department.
- Music Makers. Are you a gifted musician? We would love to have you play for patients, residents and visitors.
- Volunteer Administrative Assistant. If you would prefer to help with administrative tasks, you can help with copying, filing and directing patients and their families throughout the center.
- Dog Visitation. Bring your friendly pup to brighten the residents’ days. We do ask that you and your dog adhere to our Pet Policy, which we can provide to you if you wish to participate in dog visitation.
- Teen Volunteer (Volunteen). If you’re a younger volunteer, our Volunteen program is perfect for students 15 years old and above. You’ll be able to do similar things as the adult volunteers.
Learn more about volunteer opportunities and apply here >>
Volunteer Opportunities for Teens
As we mentioned above, we welcome teen volunteers 15 years of age and older. It’s an excellent opportunity for teens who need service hours or who simply want to spend some quality time with seniors.
Although there are some differences due to age, for the most part, teen volunteers are welcome to help with many of the things adult volunteers do.
The Benefits of Volunteering
The benefits of volunteering are extensive and well-documented. Volunteering gives you the opportunity to learn something new, lower your stress levels and enjoy the impact of your work.
At Optalis communities, the main benefit of volunteering is the special bond formed between volunteer and resident. You also have the satisfaction of knowing that your efforts are making a real, tangible difference.
How to Be a Great Volunteer
For the safety of residents, all Optalis volunteers go through an orientation process and receive a volunteer packet outlining expectations.
Volunteers are also trained for health and safety. Because they often come into contact with seniors who have health challenges, they are expected to follow health guidelines such as frequent hand-washing. The administrative staff at each center checks in with volunteers to make sure that both volunteers and residents are staying safe and maintaining proper health procedures.
You don’t need any special skills or talents to volunteer—although we always find ways to put your talents to use! Simply by spending quality time with a resident, you can be a great volunteer.
Get Involved with Optalis
Even if it’s something as simple as painting nails or playing a game, you can make a huge difference in someone’s life by volunteering your time. We appreciate all of our wonderful volunteers and the important work they do to keep Optalis communities the welcoming, caring places they are. If you would like to join us, submit a volunteer application today.